- 2nd: Inclusive Post- secondary Education program in Texas
- 4: Tentative number of Students in the inaugural year (Fall 2021).
- 10-12: Number of Students admitted per year (starting in 2022-2023)
- Seeking: $250,000+ in donations to support students with scholarships
- Self-Sustaining: Designed to be self-sustaining by 2025
- UNT courses for audit credit focusing on career interests
- Inclusive internships on campus & community that could lead to competitive employment
- Participation in traditional college activities with UNT students
- UNT ELEVAR Classes: designed for their needs (life skills, financial literacy, career planning, health & wellness)
Need & Impact
UNT ELEVAR is part of an international trend of post- secondary education for young adults with intellectual/ developmental disabilities. It addresses a significant social problem: inclusive education is widely available for children with disabilities in PK-12 level, but there are few educational opportunities after high school.
UNT ELEVAR not only provides these opportunities for an underrepresented population, but it supports them in pursuing a career of their choice building on skills necessary to pursue a competitive job, live independently, and continue to be part of a larger, inclusive community.
It also provides a larger impact to the students, faculty, and staff at UNT and the surrounding communities in broadening their perceptions through inclusive experiences.
Finally, partnerships with on- campus and local organizations, school districts, and employers, extend on the importance of diversity in the workforce.
UNT ELEVAR (Empower, Learn, Excel, enVision, Advance, Rise) is a four-year inclusive postsecondary education program for students with intellectual disabilities (ID). Following the definition of the program’s name, ELEVAR [lift, soar, rise, in Spanish], the program’s vision is to empower young adults with ID who wish to continue postsecondary education (PSE) to become self-determined, independent, and healthy adults readied for integrated competitive employment. Most importantly, the UNT ELEVAR program welcomes young adults with ID to be part of the Mean Green family experience. UNT ELEVAR will seek the Comprehensive Transition Program accreditation from the U.S. Department of Education. For more information about the UNT ELEVAR program, please contact us at email@example.com
The UNT ELEVAR program is designed to serve young adults with intellectual disabilities of at least 18 years of age, has completed high school with or without a high school diploma, and who received services through an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), been served by IDEA, or completed an alternate assessment portfolio. The application will open December 1, 2020. For more information, visit our Admission Information page.
Family Resources and Information Sessions
Join us to learn more about the UNT ELEVAR program through our Virtual Info Session #2 on Wednesday, December 9th at 6:30 pm. We will be sharing more about the program, admission process, housing, and all other components of our inclusive post-secondary education program. We will also have time for some questions and answers. Register in advance for this Zoom meeting: Click Here. After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
RESOURCES: Middle school and High school students interested in pursuing and experiencing a college career can prepare early on! Here is a great website from our Think College partners: Click Here
Supporting the UNT ELEVAR Program
Spreading the word about the inclusive options and possibilities for students with intellectual and/or developmental disabilities is a great way to support the program. In addition, here are other areas where donations can help provide immediate impact for students and the future of the program:
- Curriculum Materials & Employment Training
- Technology used by UNT ELEVAR Students (e.g., iPads, Laptops)
- UNT fees for Audit Courses for UNT ELEVAR Students
- Student’s Living Expenses, including on-campus housing
- UNT ELEVAR Program Fees for one student (one year)
- Graduate Assistant/Instructor assistantships (tuition + stipend) per year
- UNT ELEVAR Student’s fees, living, expenses, & program fees (“Full ride”)
- Endowment for the Program
For more information about donating to the future UNT ELEVAR program, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org