UNT ELEVAR is designed to serve students who meet the following criteria:
- Is an individual of at least 18 years of age, transfer students are eligible to enter through the age of 28.
- Has a documented disability diagnosis of intellectual disability
- Has completed high school with or without a high school diploma, who received services through an Individualized Education Plan (IEP), been served by IDEA, or completed an alternate assessment portfolio. Students should no longer receive support from their high school at start of the UNT ELEVAR program
- Has basic functional skills in reading, writing, and mathematics with or without assistive technology
- Has completed high school with or without a high school diploma and no longer receives support from their high school at start of the UNT ELEVAR program
- Has a personal interest to attend college and is seeking greater independence and employment by enhancing social, communication, vocational, health and wellness, and life skills in an inclusive post-secondary education program as demonstrated through a personal statement and interview
- Is willing and able to live communally and independently with other UNT or UNT ELEVAR students in campus housing during the program as demonstrated through the Transition Pathway program or other evidence (e.g., overnight camps, etc.)
- Can function independently (e.g., navigate campus on their own or with appropriate support) and participate in semester-long workshops and seminars that last between 90 minutes and 2 hours
- Displays skills to manage stress and adapt to change or the ability to learn such coping skills with minimal disruption to others. Exhibits responsible and socially adaptive behavior with minimal supervision and appropriate support.
- Has sufficient emotional and independent ability to participate in all aspects of the UNT ELEVAR program and the University of North Texas
- Demonstrates the ability to accept personal responsibility for actions and maintains respect for self and others and understands and follows all UNT safety and health requirements
- Has limited or no history of disruptive or aggressive behavior.
- Independently self-administers and manages medication, specialized dietary and/or medical needs.
- Serve as their own full legal guardian. Individuals with ID who have a supported decision-making agreement are also encouraged to apply and decisions will be made on an individual basis.
- Demonstrate the potential to successfully achieve personal and program goals within the context of the UNT ELEVAR program and setting.
(Applications for the new cohort opens December 1st, 2021)
The application to the UNT ELEVAR program includes several components listed below:
- Complete the Online Application (Opens December 1). The online application will request the following information:
- Personal Information
- Educational Information (e.g., schools attended, courses they enjoyed, etc.)
- Employment or Volunteer History
- Skills Inventory
- Submit a video (no more than 3 minutes long) via the online application
- Submit Additional Documentation via the online application as attachments or by mail (address included in the online application) with the following documents:
- Individualized Education Plan (copy)
- Full Individual Evaluation (FIE) (copy)
- Transition Plan (copy)
- Individualized Plan for Employment (IPE; if available)
- High School Transcript (official/unofficial)
- Submit 2 Recommendation forms by Professional (examples Educators, Employment supervisors, Volunteer Supervisors) submitted directly through the online form
- (Click Here to Access the Online Form)
- Please do not submit letters of recommendation via email
- Send a check or money order payable to UNT of $25.00 as a non-refundable application fee (Address in the online application)
Applications Open December 1, 2021
Applications Close February 1, 2022
Initial Review of Applications begins February 2nd, 2022
Invitations to an on-campus interview by early March, 2022
Interviews Mid-March, 2022
Admission letters sent by April 1, 2022
Commitment Letter sent by May 15, 2022